Be aware of rise in cases of gastroenteritis in dogs in Norwich
January 10, 2019
Get brushed up on gastroenteritis in dogs
In the past two weeks, there has been an increase in cases of gastroenteritis affecting dogs in the UK. This causes a dog’s stomach and intestines to swell, and while it likely won’t be life-threatening, can give your dog abdominal discomfort, pain, diarrhoea, and vomiting.
There’s no need to be worried, just give us a quick visit at All Creatures Healthcare in Norwich for advice and peace of mind.
Keep yourself in the know by taking a minute to read through potential symptoms of gastroenteritis and ways to reduce the chance of it affecting your cherished canines.
Symptoms to watch out for…
Gastroenteritis can show itself in several ways, so you should be keeping an eye on:
- Persistent or intense vomiting (more than 2-3 times per day)
- Loss of appetite
- Depression (which shows itself in loss of interest, hiding, or excessive licking)
- Pink vomit
- Red/black stools
Ways to reduce risk of gastroenteritis…
There are a few ways that you can lower the chance of your dog contracting the virus:
- Stop them from scavenging during walks (or even at home)– Often, digesting a foreign body can cause illness in dogs.
- Wash and disinfect their paws when you get back from a walk– This reduces the chance of them becoming ill from any bacteria that might have been found outside.
- Keep up with regular vaccinations and worming – Ensure that ongoing preventative measures are part of your schedule to decrease the risk of infections.
If you’re worried that your dog is showing any symptoms – or even if you just want to play it safe with a clean bill of health – give us a call for advice or bring your beloved pet into All Creatures Healthcare for a check-up.