Has your dog eaten raisins or your cat chewed chives?
November 21, 2020
As a vet that serves Norwich as well as the areas around Norwich, Norfolk & East Anglia we often receive cases of poisoning over the festive period. So, to help avoid festive foodie fails, below we’ve listed five Christmas foods that can be poisonous to our dogs and cats.
If your pet ingests any of the foods below please contact us immediately for advice.
Contains a chemical called theobromine, a stimulant, which is poisonous to dogs. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures which can be seen 4-24 hours after ingestion and in extreme cases can be fatal.
2. Onions, Garlic, Chives
Contain thiosulphate, which is poisonous to cats and dogs whether eaten raw, cooked or even on left over pizza. Signs of poisoning are seen 2-4 days after ingestion and include lethargy, breathlessness, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Alcohol is much more toxic to dogs than humans. Ingestion of food or drink containing even small amounts of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, co-ordination issues, depression, tremors, coma and death.
4. Raisins, Currants and Grapes
These fruits are toxic whether ingested alone or when incorporated in cakes & puddings. Symptoms can take several days to appear and include loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and excessive drinking.
5. Macadamia Nuts
Can cause weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and a high temperature in dogs. Signs develop within 12 hours of ingestion, can last 12-48 hours but should be treated immediately.
Beware of Bones
Bones are a common treat for dogs. However, they can cause problems as bone splinters can get lodged in their digestive tract and eating too many can cause severe constipation. If you must give bones, then uncooked are preferable and close supervision is essential.
What to do in a pet emergency
If you know your pet has ingested any of these foods, you should; Contact us immediately on 01603 89 89 84. Please don’t wait for symptoms to appear as this may take hours or even days and early treatment is critical. We have emergency cover throughout the holiday period.
Note the amount of the suspect food eaten. When you attend the surgery please bring all the wrappers or containers the food was in.